Week 14: Satire and Sci-Fi


To finish this course, I went ahead and listened to the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy radio broadcast. I have never read the novel adaption nor have I ever seen the movie adaptation so this was something that was completely alien to me, much as how the series is to the rest of the sci-fi genre. 

It begins, pretty simply enough with characters, Ford and Arthur escaping the earth before its before it is destroyed to make way for an intergalactic freeway. They then begin there journey whilst using this guide as their only compass. As someone big into watching podcasts, the modern day equivalent to a radio broadcast in my opinion, this is one of the most interesting and unique broadcasted shows I have ever heard. From enveloping sound effects and great voice acting, its easy to lose hours listening to whole sections of it. Definitely the closest I have gotten to finishing a book this semester sadly due to the time required to read and busier and busier class schedules. The story follows them throughout many different parts of the galaxy, to a planet that sells other planets, to the meeting of several different characters like Voron and Zaphrod. They learn the meaning of life is 42 and the reason why is because of its origin from a supercomputer and Marvin, a robot that seems like a really depressed person. 

Beyond anything, this is easier the most recommended listen ive ever had, and even as writing this, I plan to submit it and then un- pause the video and continue through. 

Thank you for an incredible semester.

Comments